Weight Loss Tips
Every day we hear about calorie burning, exercise and weight loss.
Calorie burning gives an impression that by heating up the bodies one can burn Fat. There are actually steam baths and stuff which people try.
To my mind calorie burning has following components –
- Eating Food
- Digesting Food
- The delivery of nutrients to cells
- Cellular Metabolism – Conversion of nutrients into energy to be used by the body.
- Delivery of the energy back to body for doing physical activities.
Another way of looking at Calorie burning is –
- Energy (Calories) is needed by Vital organs of the body to work efficiently.
- Energy (Calories) is needed by Vital processes of the body to keep fit.
- Energy (Calories) is needed for physical activities.
- Resting Metabolic Rate is decided by the cellular metabolism which is independent of the food that one eats. In the short run we can not increase our cellular metabolic rate
Most of the people who attempt at weight loss fail. The first reason that comes to my mind is they focus on physical activities to burn calories without paying any attention to the fact that there has to be enough generation of energy (calories) in the body to take care of the new physical exercises.
Let us assume that energy production remains constant in the first few days of starting the exercises. That will cause the stores of energy to be used to fuel the exercise. But in few days all such stores of energy (glucose) shall get used up. So usually we see some weight loss in the first few days of starting exercises.
After the stores of glucose are used the body starts diverting the calories meant for vitals organs. That will cause vital organs not working in best possible manner.
Now let us see what are the vital processes that our vital organs do –
- Heart pumps the oxygenated blood to each corner of the body.
- Cells carry out the metabolic processes by which food is converted into energy.
- This energy is used in vital organs and physical exercises and rest is stored for later use.
- The energy that is stored for later use, also requires energy to maintain those stores.
- The waste generated during the cellular metabolic process is removed.
Now when there is diversion of energy from vital organs to physical activities the waste removal suffers in the first place, causing toxins build up in the body.
Over a period of time this toxins start eating up a major portion of the energy and the condition of heart, lungs, kidneys and liver start getting affected.
So what is the solution
Hydration / Dehydration Cycles as mentioned on the home page of this web site. The logic and other reasons for benefits of hydration / dehydration cycles are given at the home page.
Interval walking for 5 / 10 minutes every hours.
On average one requires 1 to 1.5 calories per minute for the vital organs. That is our resting metabolic rate. (There are 1440 minute sin 24 hours. Normally we eat 1500 to 2200 calories, that translates to 1 to 1.5 calories).
Walking for 5 minutes in an hour will burn 5 x 4 = 20 (Calories burnt by walking 5 less calories burnt without walking 1) calories in 5 minutes. The excess will be used from the stores. Such a small use of energy will not cause any emergency response of the body of diverting the energy from vital organs.
Rather use of such a small amount of energy will cause small amount of dehydration. This small dehydration will allow the cells more breathing space resulting in small increase in production of energy during cellular metabolism.
So the next hours the body will try to compensate use of 20 calories by increasing metabolic rate. That translates to an increase of 0.33 calories per minute (20/60 minutes).
So if we keep walking for 5 minutes every hour we will burn 0.33 x 1440 calories in 24 hours ie. 480 calories.
How we will know that walking is not diverting the energy from vital organs.
- Muscle cramps
- Loss of energy
are some of the signals of diversion of energy.
The best part of walking is that when you will stop walking the Resting metabolic rate will not fall to previous levels. The organs will keep using the same amount of calories for much longer periods. Moreover the walking will cause increased level of awareness and daily activity. A person will be able to work more hours in business or other fun activities. So make money or be happier while losing weight.
So it is not really a losing proposition